Life as we [now] know it.

I'm sitting here on a swing as I write this post from my phone- so please forgive me for errors:) 

I can easily say that after just two weeks here in U*ganda my life will never be the same. At home I would wake up, head down to the kitchen, make some breakfast- pancakes, cereal, fruit, waffles, bacon (oh I miss bacon haha)...I could make anything I wanted and still half the time I would complain I didn't want anything we had. Now, I wake up- I eat egg & chapati, bread, instant oatmeal that I brought from home or whatever else in being served up- I can't just grab a glass of water from the sink or a glass of juice. I can't pop anything into the microwave really quick. I had no idea how blessed I was to have a kitchen with a full fridge and a stocked pantry. Given the choice though, I wouldn't choose to wake up tomorrow and wander down to my familiar kitchen and eat whatever I wanted. No, I would still choose to wake up here in this place that is still very unfamiliar to me. To wake up and learn something new, to hear the kids running around working on their chores, and to see their smiling faces each morning. As I said in my last post- life is so different here! It's a beautiful kind of different, a simple kind of different. I will never look at my life, my stocked fridge, my way too full closet, my full gas tank, my clean running water, my shower, or even my vacuum the same ever again. 

This past week has been wonderful & rough all at the same time- I got sick for a few days so that was rough. But now I am renewed & feeling much better! :) Jim took such great care of me- I just don't know what I would do without that guy! 

On Friday, we got to go into the city for a field trip with the kids- man when they go on field trips in Africa they mean business! They don't just go for a few hours- no we were out for almost 13 hours!! 8 adults, 52 kids, most of whom had never been in the big city. It was precious to see their faces as we walked through the U*ganda history museum and they learned about their culture and history. To watch them as they walked to the parliament building was truly, something else. They were able to see first hand what they had been learning about in school and it was such a blessing to be there to watch. After the tours, we went to a mall called freedom city- all I can say is it was crazzzzzzy!!! Picture hundreds of kids, blow up castles, play toys, swimming pools, dancing, and screaming- lots of screaming haha we spent a few hours there & phwewwwwwww we were tired ha we Americans just couldn't keep up ;)

Right now it is a holiday break for many of the kids here- so we are spending time getting to really know the ones that are still here with us. It truly is amazing what some of these kids have gone through, and they don't just overcome their situations, but they come out of their situations with grace and faith. It really puts my life in perspective. 

Life sure is beautiful & sweet! Please continue to pray as we get our schedule worked out:) 

Freedom City 

Some silly faces :) 

Some of the beautiful kids we work with! 

With much love, 

Jim&Em






Comments

  1. Amazing....my heart is warmed when reading your posts. When I was younger I wanted to go to Africa, even before I became a christian. Time got away from me, circumstances especially with Pete's health and children just seem to stop that dream years and years ago. I am so grateful to be able to experience this to some degree through both of you. Thank you for sharing this with all of us and we continue to pray for blessing upon blessing to be poured out on you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts