One week on the other side of the world

Well, this time last week I was landing at the airport and making the mad dash through the visa process and baggage claim to see my son, Jensen.

As soon as I walked out the doors of the airport he was there front and center. Granted, it is a tiny airport and there is only one exit...but he was eagerly awaiting my arrival. I was so happy to see him. Tears always fill my eyes when he gives me that first hug and calls out 'mommy' with such excitement. It was a wonderful greeting at the airport and we were surrounded with love by Jensen and the kids aunt Winnie and Jjajja (grandma) Teddy.

Snoozing on the drive to our guest house from the airport.

We drove all over U*ganda dropping off people at their homes and finally made it to our guest house around 2 a.m. I, of course, stayed up until 0430 in the morning cleaning and organizing everything {obviously, I brought way too much-- I mean come on-- pumpkin pie poptarts are a complete necessity:)} Jensen woke me up at the lovely hour of 0530 so I was running on fumes the first day but I was so excited to be here that I hardly cared. Tuesday I ran errands and had our pre-court meeting just to go over everything and I was feeling very good about court. Jensen requested {demanded} that we go to KFC...kid loves him some "chicken and chips". Needless to say, he is not lacking an appetite at all! I couldn't say no to his request and he thoroughly enjoyed his chicken :)

Wednesday was the big day-- COURT DAY!! We relaxed in the morning and I tried my best not to overthink everything. I had such a peace from God, and I truly felt each and every prayer sent our way {thank you!!}. We arrived at the court around 2 p.m. and were finally called in around 4. Jensen and I didn't eat lunch (mom of the year right here) so he was just a hungry guy, but he did great! I can't go over details, but it went well and we go back next week for the ruling. 

All dressed up and ready to go!

 I have had many questions about the process and timeline and all I can really say is this: It is a four step process and court is just the first step. At this point the earliest we could be back would be the middleish of October. I am still trying to figure out if I am going to come home and then come back to finish up. So please be praying about the best option. It all depends on the timing of each step and sadly there is no true rhyme or reason to any of it.

After court, we celebrated over dinner! I was so blessed to have a friend tag along on this crazy journey with me. Lyndsey, who is a gal that I work with had wanted to go with me this summer to Uganda and the timing didn't work out with court. So when we got the call, I immediately thought of her. I walked into her office Friday morning on 09/11 and five hours later she had her leave approved and her ticket purchased. She was a total gem and Jensen absolutely loved her. I couldn't have picked a better traveling partner if I tried. She just left yesterday and we miss her like crazy!

Saying goodbye to our sweet Lyndsey

The few days after court were great days. I really wanted to visit the kids maternal village and so Friday we drove the long 4 hour drive out to the village of Kiwangala (Chee-won-gala). I don't really know how to describe the village but I will do my best. First, it is absolutely beautiful. Banana plants, trees, greenery all around, red dirt roads that seem to go everywhere and nowhere all at the same time, children that have the biggest smile and jump up and down waving when they see you drive by, and people with the kindest of hearts who welcome you in and treat you as their own. Beyond that, it is quiet, the air is fresh, and to top it all off the toilets are little holes in the ground ;)

Starting our trek!

Pitstop at the equator-- Here with my lovely Ugandan sister and mother!

Kiwangala Village

Kiwangala Village

Let me say this though- when we began the a*doption process we didn't anticipate having much, if any relationship with the family of our children. Typically with international a*doption, not much is known about history and some never have the opportunity to know the birth families. We have been incredibly blessed by the way our a*doptions have played out. Not only do we know their family, we genuinely love them. In so many ways, we didn't just gain our three beautiful children but we gained a beautiful family. They have taken us in, accepted us, and loved us as their own and I can't describe what that has been like for me. They have given us such grace and they have made such a genuine effort to know us. I am so proud to call them family. Through all of the loss they have been through, they work hard to love us and care for us and how humbling it is to be welcomed into their family. They have been such an example of what it is to love well. 

The family's homestead in Kiwangala


Some of the beautiful women!

The great uncle who welcomed us to his homestead and a beautiful aunty who prepared and served us wonderful food

Jjajja Teddy and the kids great Aunt who has an absolute heart of gold

The whole group just before we left-- we were surrounded by family, friends, neighbors and many children


This day in the village was special. We laughed, ate lots of food, laughed some more, sweat {just a tad} under the hot African sun, and got to visit the place where the woman who I will forever hold close in my heart is laid to rest. I have stood at her grave three times now. Each time I am left speechless. My heart races, tears fill my eyes, and thoughts fly through my head. Each time I stand there I am left broken. You see, we love our children so incredibly much-- but standing there, breaks my heart. I will never ever get the opportunity to know her and while I am so thankful to see glimpses of her in our children and her family, my heart aches to know her. It aches for her to know us. It aches for our children whose loss I will never be able to take away. Each day we fight for our kids and so much of it is for her and knowing that they deserve to be fought for. They are so loved. I know that she watches over them, I know that she sees them, and I believe that she will always be with us. One of my favorite quotes is:

"A child born to another woman calls me mom. The depth of the tragedy and the magnitude of the privilege are not lost on me"
-- Jody Landers 

That is the most accurate way to describe how I feel when I stand at the base of her grave. It is a tragedy that she isn't here, it breaks my heart that she can't see her beautiful children grow. My heart wishes in so many ways that she could. But beyond the tragedy, what grace. We were chosen to parent her three beautiful children, and oh what a privilege it is. We fight each day for them. We push forward through the hard stuff for them, and in so many ways to honor their birth mother and her life.

Where our children's beautiful birth mother is laid to rest


Since that special day, I have just been getting to know our precious Jensen. He is a funny kid! I know he is going to fit right into our crazy bunch at home. He has enjoyed his time with me so far, but I know he is super excited to get to be home with his siblings and dad. Please keep praying friends, it is a long road ahead but we serve a faithful God who walks each step of this process with me.

I can't really put into words what it is like to be back here. It truly does feel like coming home. While so much of this place still feels foreign, so much of it doesn't at all. I miss my little crew at home and I can't wait to see their faces again, but there is just something about U*ganda that gets me every time.  This place has changed me, and I just feel so incredibly blessed to be back.

I'll end this on a lighter note: I killed a centipede in my shower tonight-- Jensen came running out of his shower shouting "mom I don't know what but it moving!!" Alas, it was a nastyganglygrossdisgustingmaneating centipede. It wasn't pretty, and in my humble opinion it could have eaten me whole. :)

Goodnight from Africa!

















Comments

Popular Posts