Long Overdue

I owe everyone an update-- yet again, I have failed at this blog. I really love writing and this space has become so special to me. But, I have struggled with posting {I am still not completely sure why}. I have almost thirty posts written and I haven't been able to publish a single one. I think there are some things that my heart just isn't ready to share yet. But, here we are. Home for four months as a family of 6. I can't believe it is almost spring and we are approaching the end of another school year. Oofta! Time sure does fly. So, here is a brief update about each of our kiddos.

J wrote this for MLK day "I have a dream everybody gets a home"
Jensen: Man, if I could describe how proud of this kid I am. Words truly don't do it justice. He has done WONDERFUL. It is like he was always here. God knew he was a piece of our family puzzle that couldn't be missing, and He moved mountains to bring him home. He is constantly making me laugh, loves to play with his legos, has learned to ride a bike, loves to watch funny movies and laughs like it is going out of style, is LOVING school and learning, and man, does he learn quick! He has his mind made up that he wants to be a pilot, and I have no doubt that he will accomplish whatever he puts his mind to. It is funny to look back on the times when you questioned Gods plan, and be able to see why He did what He did. The amount of times that I was angry at God for having us go through another international adoption on the heels of our last. But, looking back, I couldn't be more thankful that He sent me back. He redeemed Uganda for me. He made me miss it more than ever. He reminded me that beyond our children, there are thousands more. He lit a fire, and I am excited to see what happens.

Just the other night, Jensen sat on my lap {all 95lbs of him :)} and kept saying "this is my mom, I got my mom" in between giggles and smiles. Melt. God knew I needed him. We are so blessed by each of our children. But, God knew we needed our Jensen, and He knew it would all be done in His perfect timing. He brings a balance I am very thankful for.


Aven: Oh our precious Aven. This kid keeps me going and man, does he keep me on my toes. Since having his brother come home, Aven has really matured. He has grown SO much. He is doing great in school this year and really taking off in reading and math. He is learning so much, so fast, and does not get nearly as frustrated with his home work as he did last year. We are talking to Aven lately a lot about 'hard things'. His heart is so tender, but he comes off as a tough rough and tumble boy. It is easy to forget that he very sensitive and aware. He has been opening up, and slowly, I have seen God work miracles in his heart. I have seen redemption through his life. He keeps me going.

If there is ever a loud noise, or "whoops" proclaimed throughout our halls, it is almost always Aven :) He makes me laugh like crazy, and sometimes I wonder what the heck he was thinking, but most of the time I am just amazed at his perseverance and determination in life.


B: Oh our oldest. What a blessing his life is. He has grown SO much and Jim and I are incredibly proud of him. It is a humbling experience to parent a 17 year old {when you are only 10 years out from that age}. His tenacity for life is inspiring and it is fun watching him figure everything out. He is in the midst of football workouts and is super excited for his upcoming season. I missed EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. last year because I was in Uganda and it broke my heart. I am so excited to root him on from that stands this season. I have watched him grow in so many areas of his life and choose to make hard decisions-- it is awesome to watch.


Evelyn: Oh goodness me-- our Evie Grace. This little girl is SO full of personality I just can't even. She is a light. I truly believe that God placed her in our arms first because he knew that she would show us love in a broken world. That she would teach us and prepare us for every other hard 'yes' we have made. Her life is a miracle and to be able to watch her grow has amazed me in every way. She is two and a half now and protected by her three big "bobo's" as she calls them. She is talking like it is going out of style and constantly telling me how to run my life. She loves 'girls nights' and has proclaimed that she will forever be my baby {which is completely fine with me}. Jim has been staying up late studying lately and I {may} be letting her snuggle in our bed with me. Before she falls asleep she says "mommy I love you- you're my best friend- forever". I can't adequately describe how that makes me feel. God has shown himself through her life. Each time I look at her I see the little 4.5lb baby girl that was placed in our arms ever so unexpectedly two and a half years ago. She loves to dance, loves to have her nails painted, loves to cuddle, is a tough little cookie who tries to keep up with her brothers, is wildly obsessed with birthday cake, and is incredibly funny. She is a constant reminder that we serve a miraculous God.


I joked with a friend the other day that we are in the season of potty training a two year old, and an oldest who is now dating. Truly, that is so our life right now. We are a broad spectrum and many days I can't help but laugh at myself and Jim. Some days we have it together, other days we take good guesses and hope everything works out :) 


With love,

The Ohlinger Crew

Comments

Popular Posts