On This Day-- Birthday

In just a few hours, Jensen will be our {not so little} 11 year old. I have been thinking all day about it. Our adoption has been unique. Many families aren't able to get much information, if any, on birth family and my heart grieves for those situations. We have been so incredibly blessed to know our children's biological family SO well. They are family to us and we have an awesome relationship. We love them and get to speak to them often. We didn't expect that to be the case when we began the international adoption process four years ago.

My heart has tossed all kinds of feelings back and forth today. But, I landed on one-- Joy. I thought that even though I would be incredibly happy about my growing boy, my heart would grieve all the years we missed with him. But, as much as I love him, I don't grieve the time we missed. On this day, eleven years ago, his birth mom welcomed him into the world. She was young, and I can imagine her excitement. On this day, eleven years ago, she became a mom.

Eleven years ago, I was sixteen. I was wandering the halls of my high school, & worrying about the silliest things under the sun. Eleven years ago, I visited an orphanage in Thailand that would break my heart and light a fire. Eleven years ago, God planted a seed in my heart about adoption. Little did I know that on the other side of the world, a little boy that would one day call me mom was being welcomed into the world.

I will never know what his cry sounded like, his first words, when he took his first step, or what he was like as a wild toddler--- but, she did. His birth mother loved him fiercely. I hear the joy in Jensen's voice when he speaks of her, and her love for him is so evident. I thank God that he saw us fit to parent her children after He called her home. I know that she watches over their lives as they grow. It is so special to me to be connected to her through the lives of our three. Because of her love, and the love of his extended family, our Jensen is doing amazing. He is brave, kind, loving, trusting, and dreaming with hope about his future.

On this day, I thank God for his birth mom, and all of the other family members that loved our Jensen so well. I am thankful that when I think about the years we missed, I know that he was loved so very much, and cared for by many family members who relentlessly fought for his life, and the life of his siblings.

So, to our {not so little} 11 year old, Happy Birthday. We are so proud of who you are and who you are becoming.

Their beautiful birth mother
"...and she loved a little boy very, very much-- even more than she loved herself" 
Shel Silverstein- The Giving Tree


Comments

  1. Beautifully said! She is lovely and looks so much like all 3 of them. How very special you have a wonderful picture for them to have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts